NCDA Career Practitioner Institute
"Practical Techniques and Strategies for
Career Development Practitioners"
October 26, 2018 - Portland, Oregon
PDIs on October 25th
(details to be posted in the summer)
For details about the Career Practitioner Institute, please download the Charleston CPI Program Book.
NCDA Member Registration Fee (5.5 CE hours): $
Non-Member Registration Fee (5.5 CE hours): $
Professional Development Institutes (4 CE hours each PDI) Member and Non-Member Fee: $ per PDI
Cancellations received in writing prior to ___ will be subject to a $50 (US funds) processing fee. Due to costs NCDA incurs, NO refunds will be given after this date. If paying via purchase order, your organization will be required to fulfill the purchase order. Refunds will not be given for no-shows after the Institute.
Sheraton Portland Airport Hotel
8235 Northeast Airport Way. Portland, OR 97220, United States Phone: (1)(503) 281-2500
Guests can access the site to learn more about the event and to book,
modify, or cancel a reservation from April 18, 2018 to October 29, 2018.
Shuttle service is complimentary to and from the Portland International Airport. Please call (503) 281-2500 and press zero to request shuttle service once you have retrieved your luggage. The shuttle will go to Island 1 outside of “Arrivals/Baggage Claim” and will take up to 20 minutes from time of initial call. The Sheraton is within a mile from the airport and shuttle service operates 24/7 on-demand.
Thursday, October 25, 2018
7:30 am - 5:00 pm Registration Open
Professional Development Institutes (PDIs) - optional (for an additional fee); 4 Continuing Education Contact Hours (CE)
8:00 am - 12:15 pm PDI #1
12:15 - 1:15 pm Lunch On Your Own
1:15 pm - 5:30 pm PDI #2: "Active Engagement" - presented by Norm Amundson
Friday, October 26, 2018
7:30 am - 3:30 pm Registration Open
8:30 - 9:45 am Opening Keynote: "Metaphor Making" - presented by Norm Amundson
9:45 am - 10:00 am Refreshment Break
10:00 - 11:00 am Presentation Series I (three presentations per series)
11:15 am - 12:15 pm Presentation Series II (three presentations per series)
12:15 - 1:30 pm Welcome Lunch (included)
1:45 - 2:45 pm Presentation III (three presentations per series)
2:45 - 3:00 pm Refreshment Break
3:00 - 4:00 pm Closing Keynote: "Reclaiming Your Soul from Work" - presented by Spencer Niles
NCDA has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP #1003. Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified. NCDA is solely responsible for all aspects of this program.
After the event, NCDA will send an electronic link to the evaluation. After completion of the evaluation, the system will direct you to your online membership record where continuing education transcript can be printed.
Optional Pre-Conference Professional Development Institutes (additional fee required to participate); 4 Continuing Education Hours
PDI #1: tba
Thursday, October 25, 2018; 1:30 - 5:30 pm
PDI #2: "Active Engagement" - presented by Norm Amundson
Opening General Session - 8:30 - 9:45 am
"Metaphor Making" - presented by Norm Amundson
Closing General Session - 3:00 - 4:00 pm
"Reclaiming Your Soul from Work" - presented by Spencer Niles
Presentation Series I, 10:00 - 11:00 am
1. Women and the Glass Ceiling (Kathy Evans).
2. New Credentials for You! (Lisa Severy)
Presentation Series II, 11:15 am - 12:15 pm
4. Applying the Hope-Action Model to Your Everyday Career Development Practice (Hyung Joon Yoon, Spencer Niles & Norm Amundson)
5. Resources for Career Development Practitioners and Educators (Melanie Reinersman)
6. The Career Practitioner’s Guide to Conducting a Webinar (Melissa Venable)
7. Career Work is Justice Work (Brian Hutchison)
8. Mental Health and Career Development (Sharon Givens)
9. Future-Proof YOUR Career in the Changing World of Work (Paul Timmins)
What Is a Career Practitioner Institute?
NCDA offers these smaller, regional conferences for the purpose of
- gathering practitioners together for a day-long event at a low cost
- allowing state CDA leaders, NCDA Board members and representatives opportunities to present to and interact with smaller groups of practitioners
- showcasing NCDA products and benefits to both members and non-members
- offering CEUs (continuing education units) to practitioners who seek these
- convening Board meetings and state CDAs
What Are Participants Saying about NCDA Career Practitioner Institutes?
- "I enjoyed everything! Networking was terrific! Speakers were excellent! Location was wonderful. Being able to obtain 13 CEU's in 2 days while having fun, too!"
- "Two of the best things about the presentations were the thought provoking ideas and concepts and the competencies of the facilitators."
- "I enjoyed gaining new information and practices to re-energize my work."
- "As a new member, this was very beneficial... I learned about the many resources and training opportunities available to me personally, but also those that will be helpful in my work with my students."
National Career Development Association (NCDA) has been approved by NBCC as an Approved Continuing Education Provider, ACEP No. 2015.
Programs that do not qualify for NBCC credit are clearly identified.
NCDA is solely responsible for all aspects of the programs.
Mark Your Calendars for upcoming Career Practitioner Institutes:
February 15, 2019 - San Diego, CA (PDIs on February 14) - Hyatt Regency Mission Bay
October 2019 - tba