Ohio Days - NPX Newsletter Fall 2021
By Emma Canfield, PharmD
The historic town of Canal Fulton is nestled in the Northwest corner of Stark County among the Ohio and Erie canals and Tuscarawas river. Canal Fulton offers a close-knit community, historical sights, and popular downtown area. This small town is conveniently just a short drive away from more metropolitan areas such as North Canton and Akron. I am happy to share with you the top five things that make Canal Fulton a unique place to visit.
- The Country Fest – Canal Fulton is home to one of the largest privately-owned festivals in the United States. This 3-day music festival brings in 15,000 fans each summer to party to country music, swim at the water park, and enjoy a variety of outdoor sports and activities. Popular artists that have performed include Thomas Rhett, Dustin Lynch, Morgan Wallen, Luke Combs, Dierks Bentley, and Jason Aldean.
- Ice Cream – There are two deliciously different spots in Canal Fulton to indulge in homemade ice cream. Oser’s Dairy and Deli was established in 1954. The Oser family used the shop to sell items from their dairy farm in addition to milk and ice cream. This is the place to go for a great deli sub and banana split sundae all year round. The Cherry Street Creamery is located right along the Erie towpath trail that passes through Canal Fulton. This ice cream shop is known for its old fashioned custard, ice cream, milkshakes, and “Canal Dogs.”
- St Helena III – The St. Helena III is an authentic, operational replica of the 1825 canal boat. The St. Helena III canal boat is pulled by two draft horses and departs from the Port of Canal Fulton in St. Helena Heritage Park. Passengers can enjoy the leisurely one-hour ride along the original section of the Ohio and Erie Canal. A historian on board provides information on the history of the canal, the boat, and the town of Canal Fulton.
- Sluggers & Putters Amusement Park – The family owned amusement park started as a cornfield and transformed into one of the top destinations in Northeast Ohio. The park first opened in 1992, offering batting cages, a golf driving range and the 18-hole miniature golf course. Today, the park remains owned and operated by the McCully family and offers go-karts, water bumper boats, bumper cars, Ferris wheel, flying chair swings, arcade, rock climbing wall and more. Sluggers and Putters is home to Ohio’s largest outdoor laser tag field and Stark County’s only roller coaster, making it a premiere destination for company picnics, birthday parties, field trips, and special occasions.
- The Toys Time Forgot – Step back in time and recapture your childhood memories with over 4,000 square feet of vintage toys in The Toys Time Forgot brick and mortar storefront. Ohio’s number one vintage toy store carries Baby Boomer toys, movie and TV memorabilia, comic books and collector cars, dolls, action figures, and more. This family owned business has been a hidden gem in Canal Fulton for over 25 years.