OPA COVID-19 Vaccines: September 20, 2021 Update
COVID-19 Coadministration with Flu Vaccine
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) recommend that in addition to the influenza vaccine, the COVID-19 vaccine can be coadministered with other vaccines. If multiple vaccines are administered at a single visit, administer each injection at a different site. See this guidance from the CDC on co-administration best practices. Vaccination providers should consider whether the patient is behind or at risk of becoming behind on recommended vaccines, their risk of vaccine preventable disease, and the reactogenicity profile of the vaccine.
MTM Opportunities Still Available
Pharmacies are still eligible to receive an additional $30 over the $70 administration reimbursement for the first doses of the COVID-19 vaccine administered to eligible Medicaid patients. Ohio’s managed care organizations continue to provide additional pharmacy incentives through CSS Health and OutcomesMTM platforms. Pharmacists are encouraged to engage with these platforms to ensure that these claims are closed. Please see this survey to gauge your pharmacy’s interest in the MTM vaccine reimbursement program: MTM Vaccine Incentives Feedback Survey.
PREP Act COVID-19 Therapeutic Training
The Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) announced an amendment to the COVID-19 Public Readiness and Emergency Preparedness (PREP) Act declaration to allow licensed pharmacists to order and administer COVID-19 therapeutics, including subcutaneous monoclonal antibodies. See the HHS directive here. Additionally, Ohio’s Board of Pharmacy released the following guidance document that provides additional information.
Under the Act, pharmacists are able to order and administer certain COVID-19 therapeutics. According to the regulations, pharmacists must cover the clinical evaluation of indications and contradictions of COVID-19 therapeutics. The American Pharmacists Association has released a free continuing education program to help meet the PREP Act training requirement. Get started here.
Informational Resource Outreach Opportunity
Ohio’s managed care plans have created unique informational resources to boost vaccine confidence among community members. At this time, pharmacies can order door hangers with crucial COVID-19 vaccine information for their patients/customers. Please respond to the COVID-19 Informational Resource by Wednesday, September 22, if you are interested in receiving this informational resource.
Reminder: Medicaid Vaccine Incentives Deadline Extended
Ohio’s managed care plans announced that the incentives for administering the COVID-19 vaccine have been extended to December 31, 2021. The incentives include gift cards for patients ages 12 and above on Medicaid who received their first dose.
- Pharmacies can receive Visa gift cards directly to give to patients. If you are an independent pharmacy vaccinator, please email [email protected] for your gift card needs. Thank you to those who have already responded with the projected numbers of gift cards needed.
- Once you get to 75% of your gift card allocation, please reach out to Attn: Meera Patel-Zook – Gift Card Request at [email protected] so that they can ship out an additional allotment to your store.
- If you have received gift cards, please track them using COVID-19 Vaccine Gift Card Tracker Example. Vaccinators can add all the information for all MCOs in ONE tracker now and send that tracker to [email protected].
ODH Motivations and Barriers Survey
ODH has developed a patient survey to understand real-time patient motivations and barriers related to the COVID vaccines. This survey is voluntary. ODH will not collect personal identifying information. Vaccinators are requested to provide this four-question survey to vaccine recipients before vaccination or during the 15-minute wait period after vaccination. Ideas for methods to offer the survey include:
- A staff person reading the questions to the patient and collecting the data on a computer or tablet.
- Patients scanning the QR code to complete the survey on their personal devices.
- The patient provided with access to a tablet or computer to complete the survey
Here is the link to the survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/PLW3DQC. Participation in this survey is voluntary.
Helpful State Vaccine Resources and Information
The following resources are helpful for vaccinators to contact ODH regarding vaccine shipments:
- COVID Vaccine Provider Call Center: 1-844-963-4829 (The ODH Provider Call Center is open daily from 8:00 am – 7:00 pm Monday through Friday and is no longer open on weekends)
- COVID-19 Vaccine Provider Resources website
- ImpactSIIS Job Aids and Videos
- ImpactSIIS help desk: email [email protected] for assistance or call 1-866-349-0002.
OPA is working diligently to facilitate communication between state decision-makers and member pharmacists. OPA has created multiple COVID-19 resources, including a COVID-19 Vaccine Information Webpage, COVID-19 Testing Hub, and COVID-19 Resources Webpage, on the OPA website www.ohiopharmacists.org under the Resources drop-down box. For further questions, please contact Myriam Shaw Ojeda, Director of Pharmacy Extension and Public Health Initiatives, at [email protected].