Ohio’s MTM Story
OPA’s Medication Therapy Management (MTM) Committee asked pharmacists who provide MTM services to submit examples of the impact of these services in their professional practice. We were pleased to receive responses from more than 100 different sites across the state. Each MTM “story” tells of an individual encounter that improved the health of a patient. These stories have been published in a booklet that showcases, by Ohio Senate District, the effect of several of these interactions with pharmacists. The Ohio’s MTM Story booklet will be shared with legislators, third party administrators, media and others to educate them about the positive impact pharmacists have on patient lives and the healthcare system.
The electronic version of the booklet is now available at the following link:
Ohio's MTM Story
Medication Therapy Management (MTM) services can effectively promote appropriate medication therapy, improve patient therapeutic outcomes, and control overall health care costs. Pharmacists and other health professionals collaborate to provide Disease State Management (DSM)/MTM, which targets the prevention of complications and treatment of chronic conditions.
OPA's Medication Therapy Management Committee maintains a Medication Therapy Management (MTM) Registry for patients and health providers. The MTM Registry identifies the location and services provided by MTM pharmacists in Ohio. It is self-reported and kept current by the staff of the Ohio Pharmacists Association (OPA). OPA recognizes the benefits of MTM services to improve the patient’s quality of life and encourages use of this resource. However, OPA does not endorse these providers and their services nor has OPA reviewed the listing of services submitted. To download a printable form of the Registry, click on the following links.
Training Program Info
Hosted by the Ohio Pharmacists Association
Next Program: June 14, 2016
Program details may be found at the following link:
APhAs Delivering MTM Services Brochure June 2016
Register for the program online, HERE.
(ONLINE REGISTRATION FOR THIS PROGRAM WILL REMAIN OPEN THROUGH JUNE 5, 2016.)
If you are unable to attend this program and are interested in receiving a notification about upcoming programming, please submit the following form:
MTMS Training Program Interest Form
You must attend the live session to receive CE credit for this program.
a. OPA encourages you to view its MTM Strategic Plan and participate in its implementation by joining OPA's DSM Task Force. One of the initial goals of this strategic plan is the MTM Registry (above) - a network linking pharmacists providing, or interesting in providing medication therapy management (MTM) services. To keep the Registry current, we need to know who in Ohio is providing, or plans to offer, any type of screening, immunization, wellness and/or MTM services. Contact OPA with additions or updates to the Registry.
b. CMS has released updated versions of the MTM Standardized Format Instructions, and Frequently-Asked-Questions http://www.cms.gov/Medicare/Prescription-Drug-Coverage/PrescriptionDrugCovContra/MTM.html
c. Patient Newsletters for MTM Pharmacists to personalize and distribute - Medication Misuse
f. PDP Providers - Mirixa, Outcomes Medication Therapy Management (MTM) Services
- MTM presentation by Tim Ulbrich, R.Ph, PharmD, April 2013 via OPA LinkedIn page "Your local pharmacist is not who you think they are."
- MTM article in Cleveland Plain Dealer - 12.06.2010 Reviewing medications with pharmacist can improve health, save money
- OPA Disease State Management/Medication Therapy Management Task Force members recently met with Bureau of Workers’ Compensation Director of Pharmacy John Hanna, R.Ph., to submit a pain management program that may be administered in community pharmacy.
- Curt Black, R.Ph., PhD. was honored at the 2010 APhA Annual Meeting with the Academy of Pharmacy Practice and Management Merit Award in recognition of his dedication to improved medication use and to promote the value of pharmacist-provided medication therapy management (MTM) services through the state of Ohio.
- Pharmacy Today’s featured Curt Black’s promotion of MTM throughout Ohio in its April 2010 issue and online – Black fosters growth of MTM throughout Ohio
S. 3543: Medication Therapy
Management (MTM) Expanded Benefits Act of 2010
This bill, introduced by Sens. Hagen (D-NC) and Franken (D-MN), would expand Medicare beneficiary access to MTM services. The legislation would do the following.
- Expand the list of conditions used to determine eligibility for MTM services. •Allow pharmacists or other qualified providers to help determine who may benefit from MTM services.
- Require any MTM program to offer both comprehensive and targeted medication reviews at the time of initial enrollment and at a transition of care.
- Require PDP sponsors to offer any willing pharmacy in its network, and any other health care provider, the opportunity to provide MTM services.
- Require PDP sponsors to reimburse pharmacies or other qualified health care providers furnishing MTM services based on the resources used and the time required to provide such services.
- Provide pharmacies and other entities that furnish MTM services with additional incentive payments based on their performance in meeting quality measures established under this Act.
June 14, 2016
OPA office- 2674 Federated Blvd., Columbus, OH 43235
June 21, 2016
July 20, 2016
August 17, 2016
October 9, 2016
Hilton Columbus at Easton