Training Programs & Information
The Ohio Pharmacists Association was instrumental in the passage of SB 248 (amending section 4729.41) in 2001 and SB 58 in 2007 which allows Ohio pharmacists to administer immunizations for influenza to individuals 14 years of age and older, and the following adult immunizations: diphtheria, hepatitis A and hepatitis B, meningitis, pertussis, pneumonia, and tetanus. In addition, trained pharmacy interns, working under the direct supervision of a trained pharmacist, are allowed to administer influenza vaccine to individuals 18 years of age and older. Zoster vaccine administration by pharmacists was added in rule in 2009. Pharmacists desiring to give immunizations in Ohio must:
- Complete a course in drug administration approved by the Ohio State Board of Pharmacy;
- Receive and maintain certification to perform basic life-support procedures by completing a basic life-support training course by the American Red Cross or the American Heart Association; and
- Practice in accordance with a definitive set of treatment guidelines specified in a protocol established by a physician and approved by the Ohio State Board of Pharmacy.
CLICK HERE for additional program information. If you were unable to attend the 2013 programs and are interested in attending another time, please complete the following form .
Immunization Program Interest Form
Pharmacist Training Program for Adult Immunizations
On August 5, 2001 the Ohio Pharmacists Foundation, the educational arm of OPA, presented the first Ohio pharmacist training program for adult immunizations. This program has been offered since and will continue to be offered as the interest continues.
- Train pharmacists to set up an adult immunization program for diphtheria, hepatitis A & B, influenza, meningococcal, pertussis, pneumococcal, tetanus, and zoster vaccines
- To train pharmacists to properly administer vaccines and meet the requirements established by the Ohio State Board of Pharmacy for recordkeeping and for the use of physician protocols.
In order to facilitate Ohio pharmacists' ability to broaden their scope of practice, OPA plans to continue to offer this valuable program. Would you be interested in attending such a course? Please indicate your interest on the following linked form:
Credit: 0.35 CEU (3.5 contact hours)
release date: 03-01-2011 exp date: 03-01-2014
(Note: This lesson is a part of the OPF Pharmacist Training Program for Adult Immunizations.)
This lesson provides background information on adult immunizations and vaccine-preventable diseases and a working knowledge of influenza, pneumococcal, hepatitis A & B, meningococcal, tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis and zoster vaccines.
To order Home-Study CE, Click Here
April 4-6, 2014
Greater Columbus Convention Center, Columbus, OH
April 25, 2014
Ohio Pharmacists Association, 2674 Federated Blvd, Columbus
April 29, 2014
OPA office- 2674 Federated Blvd., Columbus, OH 43235
July 19-27, 2014
Norwegian Pearl Cruise