Training Programs & Information
The Ohio Pharmacists Association was instrumental in the passage of SB 248 (amending section 4729.41) in 2001 and SB 58 in 2007 which allows Ohio pharmacists to administer immunizations for influenza to individuals 14 years of age and older, and the following adult immunizations: diphtheria, hepatitis A and hepatitis B, meningitis, pertussis, pneumonia, and tetanus. In addition, trained pharmacy interns, working under the direct supervision of a trained pharmacist, are allowed to administer influenza vaccine to individuals 18 years of age and older. Zoster vaccine administration by pharmacists was added in rule in 2009, and measles, mumps and rubella vaccine was added in June 2014. Pharmacists desiring to give immunizations in Ohio must:
- Complete a course in drug administration approved by the Ohio State Board of Pharmacy;
- Receive and maintain certification to perform basic life-support procedures by completing a basic life-support training course by the American Red Cross or the American Heart Association; and
- Practice in accordance with a definitive set of treatment guidelines specified in a protocol established by a physician and approved by the Ohio State Board of Pharmacy.
Due to demand another Pharmacist Training Program for Adult Immunizations program will be held on November 20, 2014. The program will be held at the OPA office, 2674 Federated Blvd, Columbus 43235. Following the November program, the next program will be scheduled for the Spring of 2015.
Pharmacists who complete the July 23, 2014 immunization training will also receive the MMR home-study CE article and the MMR protocol at no charge.
Pharmacist Training Program for Adult Immunizations
On August 5, 2001 the Ohio Pharmacists Foundation, the educational arm of OPA, presented the first Ohio pharmacist training program for adult immunizations. This program has been offered since and will continue to be offered as the interest continues.
- Train pharmacists to set up an adult immunization program for diphtheria, hepatitis A & B, influenza, meningococcal, pertussis, pneumococcal, tetanus, and zoster vaccines
- To train pharmacists to properly administer vaccines and meet the requirements established by the Ohio State Board of Pharmacy for recordkeeping and for the use of physician protocols.
In order to facilitate Ohio pharmacists' ability to broaden their scope of practice, OPA plans to continue to offer this valuable program. Would you be interested in attending such a course? Please indicate your interest on the following linked form:
Immunizations for Measles, Mumps and Rubella
(Note: purchase of this home-study activity includes a draft protocol for MMR vaccine)
Credit: 0.1 CEU (1 contact hour)
release date: 6-24-14 expiration date: 6-24-17
This program provides information on advances in immunizations for measles, mumps and rubella (MMR), and a working knowledge of MMR vaccine. This home-study has been approved by the Ohio State Board of Pharmacy as a supplemental course for pharmacists who were previously trained to administer immunizations, but whose training did not include the MMR vaccine.
Adult Immunizations for Selected Vaccine-Preventable Diseases
Credit: 0.35 CEU (3.5 contact hours)
release date: 03-31-2014 exp date: 03-31-2017
(Note: This lesson is a part of the OPF Pharmacist Training Program for Adult Immunizations.)
This lesson provides background information on adult immunizations and vaccine-preventable diseases and a working knowledge of influenza, pneumococcal, hepatitis A & B, meningococcal, tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis and zoster vaccines.
To order Home-Study CE, Click Here
January 30 - February 8, 2015
Royal Carribean's Adventure of the Seas
February 24, 2015
Sheraton Columbus Hotel at Capitol Square & State House
April 17-19, 2015
Greater Columbus Convention Center, Columbus, OH