Resources for Members
Resources for Legislators
Government Relations & Public Policy
NCDA established its first legislative agenda during the 2008 annual Global Conference in Washington, DC. Since then, NCDA has made public policy an important cornerstone of its work, as described in NCDA's Philosophy on Public Policy: Advocating for Career Development. NCDA is represented in Washington, DC by the Government Relations Committee. The Committee’s members represent NCDA’s diverse membership. Its goal is to identify and advocate legislation and policies which support the mission of NCDA and its members. The Government Relations Committee communicates and collaborates with NCDA committees, including the Veterans Committee and the CDF Advisory Council, and related professional organizations including the American Counseling Association, the Automation Federation and the State Directors of Career and Technical Education. Communicating with and collaborating with key federal departments, including the Departments of Education, Labor and Veterans Affairs is an important part of the Committee’s work. The Committee encourages NCDA members to become actively involved in communicating with their elected representatives, informing them of the services they provide, and of the support they need to provide those services.
Legislative Alerts, Updates & News
- October 2015
September 2015 – Members of the Government Relations Committee attending the Senate CTE caucus briefing, “Postsecondary Pathways to Success: Strengthening Career and Technical Education for the Higher Education Act.” Building on the existing strengths and resources of career and technical education today, the Association for Career and Technical Education (ACTE) presents “ Recommendations For The Reauthorization Of The Higher Education Act. Read all Legislative Activity For September 2015.
- July 2015 - During the month of July, Lobbyit staff presented at the 2015 NCDA Global Career Development Conference, met with staff at the office of Rep. Chuck Fleischmann (R-TN), and worked to include career counseling language in the Senate version of the ESEA reauthorization. Read more Legislative News And Stakeholder Activity In July 2015.
- June 2015 - Legislative News And Stakeholder Activity
- June 2015 - DOL Letter - These comments are being submitted to the US Department of Labor in response to their publication of proposed rules for the new Workforce Innovation and Opportunities Act (WIOA) effective July 1, 2015. The intent is to strengthen career counseling for WIOA unemployed adults at one stop centers and youth program clients. Further information is available from the NCDA Government Relations Committee or NCDA President Mark Danaher.
- May 2015 - Lobbyit staff met with the offices of Rep. Kurt Schrader (D-OR) and Sen. Jeff Merkley (D-OR). Lobbyit and the co-chairs of the NCDA Government Relations committee continued work on comments for the WIOA proposed rule. Read More.
- May 2015 - With new federal workforce legislation becoming effective this July, the NCDA Government Relations Committee will be providing information about the career counseling aspects of the law. As the first step, the committee has reviewed the hundreds of pages of regulations proposed by the US Departments of Labor and Education to implement the Workforce Innovation and Opportunities Act (WIOA) legislation and summarized the career counseling and other related elements in a Proposed Rules Summary Analysis Of WIOA.
- April 2015
- March 2015 - During the month of March, the Lobbyit team met with Rep. Adam Kinzinger's (R-IL) office to generate support for the Counseling for Career Choice Act and touch base on the Perkins Modernization Act. The team also continued to track the ongoing Senate negotiations concerning the Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA) reauthorization. Read more...
- On September 1, 2014, Rebecca Dedmond and Charles Lehman became Co-Chairs of the NCDA Government Relations (GR) Committee. In addition to being active GR Committee members, they bring extensive professional experience and leadership to this important position. Rebecca is the Director, MA in School Counseling at George Washington University, Alexandria Center, and has served as NCDA Board member and liaison to the CDF Council. Charles administers workforce development programs in New Mexico, long-time CDA member, Co-Chairs the NCDA Veterans committee, and has served as NCDA Treasurer and Regional Trustee. Rebecca’s wide range of experience and leadership in education at all levels, and Charles’ leadership and active involvement in workforce development at the local, state and national levels will enable them to serve effectively as Co-Chairs of this important NCDA Committee
- LobbyIt staff continue to arrange and facilitate meetings with Members of Congress.These meetings often result from communications with the Members of Congress by NCDA members or GR committee members. They are very helpful, because they give us the opportunity to explain NCDA’s diverse membership and its mission and services, and to ask for the legislative and funding support needed to continue those services. These meetings are the result of grassroots advocacy at work!
- List of committee assignments for the 113th Congress
- Legislative Matrix - House and Senate bill status (as of 7/2013)
- The Automation Foundation and NCDA are working together to convey the message to students, job seekers, returning Veterans, and those in career transition that pursuing a career in the automation profession can be rewarding, and is essential to the long-term viability of our nation's and the world's advanced manufacturing effort. Click here to read the current AF/NCDA Workforce Position Statement.